Karumba is situated on the mouth of the Norman River and is the centre of the Gulf's prawning industry.
Karumba is a coastal town in the Gulf of Carpentaria, at the mouth of the Norman River. This small town is at the centre of the Gulf’s prawning industry. The surrounds of Karumba feature a series of meandering saltwater tidal estuaries. These wetlands extend inland for approximately 30 kilometres creating a haven for many species of wildlife, including saltwater crocodiles and a vast array of bird species such as pelicans, brolgas and black swans.
The Gulf Savannah is an interesting region to visit all year round. However, visitors need to be careful when considering transportation during monsoon season. This is a result of lack of road infrastructure in some parts of the Gulf Savannah region.
Karumba lies approximately 750 kilometres west of Cairns on the Gulf of Carpentaria, or 570 kilometres north of Mt Isa.
Visit Karumba with Outback Aussie Tours:
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah: 2020 13-15 Day Tour. Visit spectacular Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) National Park, experience the Gulflander and Savannahlander scenic rail journeys, discover hidden Cobbold Gorge and much more. This memorable journey takes you from Longreach through Cloncurry, Adels Grove, Karumba, Cobbold Gorge, Mount Surprise and Cairns exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and scenic rail journeys. Learn about the country’s pioneering past and take in the stunning natural beauty on this unforgettable tour.
Activities in Karumba include:
- Barramundi Discovery Centre: Everything you ever wanted to know about the barramundi can be learnt on the fascinating guided tours at this hatchery and breeding centre, where you can also hand-feed ‘barra’. The Barramundi Discovery Centre also has a gift shop stocking locally made bags and wallets fashioned from barramundi, crocodile and cane-toad leather.
- Morning Glory cloud: Due to the layout of the land and sea, the Karumba area is the only known location where the rare Morning Glory cloud formation can be observed on a regular basis, and the early morning hours of September and October are your best chance of catching this remarkable phenomenon.
- Fish, fish and fish some more! Karumba is a fisherman’s paradise with a huge array of fish, crabs and prawns in the area.
- North West Loop: A ‘must do’ adventure self drive route, the North West Loop features spectacular National Parks, timeless gorges, prehistoric discoveries and welcoming communities. The drive is featured on the Drive North West Qld website linking The Savannah Way with the Overlander’s Way via the northern section of the Matilda Way. Expect to indulge your adventurous spirit; be captivated by the open road; sample delicious Gulf seafood; and to immerse yourself in Australia’s cultural heritage.
Tours available in
Discover some of Queensland's most fascinating locations and landscapes on this unforgettable 13-15 day guided tour. Visit the spectacular Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill National Park), Experience the Gulflander and Savannahlander scenic rail journeys, discover Cobbold Gorge and more. ...