Longreach is the ideal outback base for soaking up the history and heritage of this amazing Outback Queensland region.
If you’ve always dreamed of visiting Australia’s heartland in Outback Queensland, it’s time to grab your kit and head for the bush! Longreach is the ideal outback base for soaking up the history and heritage of this amazing region. Book a room in an old country pub and meet some local characters. Whether your accommodation tastes lean towards camping under the stars or air-conditioned comfort, Longreach offers visitors plenty of options.
Visit Longreach with Outback Aussie Tours:
- Longreach Outback Getaway: 2021/22 Off Peak Deals and 2022– 5 Day Tour. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour explores Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach attractions.
- Longreach Longreach, Winton & Barky: 2021/22 Off Peak Deals – 6 Day Tour. Travel off-peak and experience our Legendary Longreach & Winton Tour with a twist! Explore Barcaldine overnight and stay 2 nights in both Winton & Longreach. Combine with Queensland Rail’s 2 for 1 Rail Deal and SAVE.
- Legendary Longreach & Winton Tour: 2022 6 Day Tour. Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality.
- Birdsville Desert Escape: 2022 9 Day Tour. A very popular fully inclusive tour featuring Birdsville, where the Channel Country meets the desert, Boulia, Windorah, Winton & Longreach. Tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna.
- Corner Country Explorer: 2022 14 Day Tour. Journey to the spectacular Channel Country and discover fascinating and remote Outback communities with legendary outback characters. Retrace the last days of Burke and Wills and explore majestic desert landscapes on this fully inclusive memorable tour. The Corner Country Explorer departs Brisbane and visits Roma, Charleville, Thargomindah, Tibooburra, Innamincka, Birdsville, Windorah and Longreach.
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah: 2022 12 Day Tour. Visit spectacular Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill) National Park, experience the Gulflander and Savannahlander scenic rail journeys, discover hidden Cobbold Gorge and much more. This memorable journey takes you from Longreach through Cloncurry, Adels Grove, Karumba, Cobbold Gorge, Mount Surprise and Cairns exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and scenic rail journeys. Learn about the country’s pioneering past and take in the stunning natural beauty on this unforgettable tour.
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah (Reverse Itinerary): 2022 13 Day Tour. Unforgettable Gulf Savannah region touring peppered with 5 iconic rail journeys – Kuranda Scenic Railway, Savannahlander, Gulflander, Spirit of the Outback and Tilt Train. Visit Lake Barrine, explore the Undara Lava Tubes, discover hidden Cobbold Gorge and much more. This memorable journey takes you from Cairns, through Mount Surprise, Cobbold Gorge, Karumba, Richmond, Longreach, Emerald, Rockhampton and Brisbane exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and experiencing scenic rail journeys.
Longreach is home to some top outback attractions including:
- Drover’s Sunset Cruise: All aboard the Longreach Explorer! Relax on the top deck with 360 degree views of the majestic Thomson River. Your Captain will captivate you with stories about the river, its wildlife and Indigenous links, whilst you enjoy complimentary nibbles & soak up the stunning colours of the spectacular outback sunset sky. Dock at Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show for a night to remember; take your seat under the stars for the delicious two-course dinner and entertaining show, live on the River Stage.
- Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show: Settle back and enjoy an evening to remember dining under the stars beside the Coolibah lined Thomson River. Feel the genuine hospitality of your outback hosts with a warm welcome from Smithy’s. Enjoy a two-course table service drover’s dinner, featuring camp oven themed modern cuisine, followed up with freshly baked damper and billy tea. Live on stage the quality guest performers will entertain you with their songs and stories. A night out at the award-winning Smithy’s is a ‘must do’ when in Longreach – an experience that is bound to be a highlight of your Outback holiday.
- Rosebank Station Smoko Tour: Visit historic Rosebank Station, originally settles as a sheep and cattle station some 100 years ago! Tour the homestead and see the Princess Wing where Princess Alexandra stayed in the 50s. Enjoy a freshly-baked morning tea on the verandah. The hospitality of the Smith family (owners of Outback Aussie Tours) is legendary.
- Camden Park Station Lunch Tour: Located near Longreach, Camden Park Station is owned and run by a grazier family and known for its historic homestead where Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip visited for morning tea. Gain an insight into the history of grazing in the Outback by visiting the Walker family with Outback Aussie Tours for a guided personalised tour of the famous Camden Park Station, and enjoy a delicious lunch experience in the Shearing Shed!
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame: This tribute to Australia’s Outback heroes includes a variety of traditional artefacts, electronic displays, photographs, films and stories of bush life. The Live Outback Stockman’s Show is also not to be missed! Meet a real Stockman and his animals in a one of a kind live show.
- Qantas Founders Museum: This world-class attraction commemorates the founders of this great Australian company that grew to become internationally recognised as a leader in world aviation. Join a tour of the decommissioned 747 ‘City of Bunbury’ and the Boeing 707 jet, the very first passenger jet ever owned by Qantas Take a 747 Wing Walk Tour to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to walk on the wing of the 747, safely strapped into a harness and attached to a static line, where you can enjoy the most unique view of the aircraft to be found anywhere! Enjoy the Luminescent Longreach Sound & Light Show. Stand amongst iconic aircraft as world class projection mapping and 360 degree immersive sound brings the 100 year story of Qantas to life with the mighty Boeing 747 serving as a primary canvas.
More local highlights:
- Longreach School of Distance Education: Visit one of the largest classrooms in the world at the Longreach School of Distance Education. Tours include an overview of distance education in the bush; a 10 minute video showcasing the students day to day lives at home; a walk through the school with an explanation of the process of the delivery; and observing a ‘live’ on-air lesson.
- Longreach Powerhouse Museum: Discover one of Longreach’s best kept secrets. Unearth the local history with exhibits that include the powerhouse generating equipment, displays of social and commercial history, agricultural and road building machinery and the 1921 swimming baths.
Tours available in
The colours of the outback come alive at sunset as you glide down the Thomson River aboard the Longreach Explorer. After a warm welcome by our experienced crew, take your seat on the top deck ready to capture 360-degree sweeping river and floodplain views. Our Captain will enthral you with captivati...
Settle back and enjoy an evening to remember dining under the stars beside the Coolibah lined river. Enjoy a two-course table service dinner, featuring our camp oven themed modern cuisine. Live on stage our talented outback performer will entertain you with their songs and stories....
Explore Longreach & Winton's attractions on an unforgettable 5-7 day Longreach Outback Getaway with our Off-Peak Deals. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour takes in Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and a...
Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality. You will stay three nights at the luxury Saltbush Retreat in Longreach and two nights in Winton, allowing you more time in...
Explore Longreach & Winton's attractions on an unforgettable 5-7 day Longreach Outback Getaway. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour takes in Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach ...
Take in the spectacular landscapes, iconic landmarks and fascinating historical sites on this 9 day Birdsville Desert Escape. You will tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna....
Discover some of Queensland's most fascinating locations and landscapes on this unforgettable 12-14 day guided tour. Visit the spectacular Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill National Park), Experience the Gulflander and Savannahlander scenic rail journeys, discover Cobbold Gorge and more. ...
Journey to the spectacular Channel Country and discover fascinating and remote Outback communities with legendary outback characters. Retrace the last days of Burke and Wills, visit the historic Dig Tree, toast the sunset overlooking the Simpson Desert and much more......